All exams, bloodwork, and X-rays came back negative for NEC. The doctors now suspect that Caleb has a milk protein allergy. This is because it is too much work for his body to break down the milk protein. Yesterday he was able to start feeds again; however, he can not have breastmilk nor the Nutramigen that was used to fortify. He is now on Elecare fortified to add extra calories. This formula is broken down to the simplest of amino acids. After his Glenn surgery, he may be able to tolerate the breast milk; however, we are not sure and we are thankful that he was able to get it for this long and pray that it helped jump start a strong immune system that he will need.
Early this morning, he had a desatting episode where he dropped to the 50's. He was sound asleep. There were no changes in his heart rate or appearance (didn't turn blue). He had to be put on oxygen for a while to get him back to his baseline. He has stayed in the appropriate range for the majority of today. Praise God that he's in the hospital since he shows no physical signs when he desatts like this.
Zack and I switched places and he stayed up with the little guy today. He realized that it's so challenging to get anything done, yet it is extremely boring- at the same time. It was wonderful to me to get to have a "normal" summer day filled with swimming with the kids, picnic lunch with friends, trying to get my house back in order, as well as the kids' behavior back in line! We had a lot of excitement when Cooper decided after Junior Flyer practice (which I had to force him to go to- stubborn child!) that he wanted to take the swim test. I really didn't think he would be able to make it down the entire length of the pool; however, if the little guy wanted to try, I was going to think positive and encourage him. Wouldn't you know it, but he swam the whole way, perfect freestyle stroke, and passed the first try!!! The kids and I were SO proud (and I am secretly so glad he did it while I was with him!) :o)

No comments:
Post a Comment