Friday, May 3, 2013

On the VapoTherm

Overnight Caleb was weaned off his VapoTherm and onto a nasal cannula.  After only being on that for a couple of hours, he was taken off that and was breathing on his own, with no support (and no equipment!).  I could actually see his sweet little face, his nose, mouth, lines of his mouth, cheeks.  He looked so different to me and I loved every second of it.  I was able to hold him.  While holding him, the nurse decided he needed a bigger bed so she ordered for a crib and meanwhile, moved out his old bed.  It took a very long time for the new crib to be brought in and the nurse kept apologizing.  I kept telling her that I was thrilled that it was so long!  I was asked to go to a focus group on the PCICU floor, but I was late due to holding Caleb.  Oh well, the cuddle time was WAY worth it!!
While I was gone from the room for 45 minutes, they did an xray on him.  He got very upset (typical behavior for him) and according to his surgeon who walked by during the event, "turned blue".  He watched him for a while, and decided that he needed more time on the VapoTherm.  He wants him to have more nutrition and allow his lungs to open up more so that he doesn't go into distress. 
Although we've taken two steps forward, and no the same two steps backward, Caleb looks better.  They took out his chest tube today!  I got a bit nervous as I was watching him late this afternoon.  While he sleeps, he goes through times where his eyes roll, but it never lasts long.  (I understand this is normal.)  During this period, he did this for a LONG time--- 10 minutes.  I called in two nurses, but they didn't seem to be worried about it, (and all his stats looked fine) so I tried to relax.  Prayers he doesn't continue this.  It may just be "newborn" sleeping habits, but I don't need anything else that looks out of the ordinary for this little guy!

2 comments:

  1. So glad you got to hold your sweet little guy. It was just great to see him with his pacifier. That made me smile and be very thankful. Take care Ashley.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Guys....Out of town today and just got the update....sounds so great...holding him must have been so sweet. We remember how that was the highest point of all. REM sleep is pretty interesting to watch...when they have medications their dreams must be very interesting. You will know his norms better than anyone else so always speak up and even check with more than one source to reassure...we always did :) He is moving in the right direction and this has all been good progress ! Much Love and many many prayers! The Severson Family

    ReplyDelete