Thursday, May 30, 2013

First Cardiology Appointment and NG Reinsertion

We are adjusting to being a family of 7 at home.  It is wonderful to all be together finally!  The siblings are just so in love with their baby brother and sit and stare at him in admiration.  The wait of getting to know this little miracle and all the prayers they have said for him have made this homecoming all the more special. 
It's been quite overwhelming for Mommy and Daddy.  It is a big team process to get all the feedings in (which take well over an hour).  We are pumping, fortifying the breastmilk with Nutramigen, feeding him through a bottle, gavaging down the NG tube whatever he doesn't finish, (which entails first checking for placement and flushing the line when finished) cleaning all the parts, and then starting over with not much time in between.  He has to be fed every three hours, whether he's asleep or not.  Not much sleep for us but lots of coffee!-- While typing this, I'm actually drinking my left over coffee from yesterday.  HAHA!  No time to make new!
He had his first pediatrician's appointment on Tuesday and his first weekly cardiology clinic appointment Wednesday.  He weighed 4.3 kilograms (9.46 pounds) which was the 8 percentile.  He was 22 1/2 inches long.  He has gained on average 40 grams a day which is higher than their goal of 20-30. That is good.  They did an EKG yesterday, took blood pressures in all 4 extremities and checked his oxygen saturation.  His murmer was loud and clear.
We had our first semi-traumatic experience Tuesday night.  Zack was holding him while I was pumping.  The kids were snuggled around him on the couch.  Next thing, I hear Zack scream, "NO!!" as the NG tube was flung across the room, Cooper running out the front door, tears pour down my face!  AAHH!!     It was such an accident and Coop felt just awful.  It took a lot of hugs to prompt him back in and then took Zack, me and Greg to put the tube back down.  After, I was nervous all night that it wasn't in correct position.  I was so worried to put anything down it!  I will probably get swifter and more confident at it soon, as Caleb just pulled it out himself again this morning!  (As you can see in the picture, he was quite pleased with himself!  I captured the cutest smile!)  He now has "no-no" socks on his hands, but he continues to box at his face trying to get it out.
We also had some fun excitement Tuesday night.  Jake lost his first tooth!  It was already loose, but it came out via a "punch" to the face (as he told me).  He was elated to wake up to money from the tooth fairy.  We laughed because now that he realizes he can get money for his teeth, he's going to be trying to pull them all out soon!




1 comment:

  1. I know that very happy "I pulled that thing out all by myself" face! Now he knows...Good Luck keeping it in! Ha! He is not only cute but smart too! :) We finally lost that battle as I told you and he was ready to take it all in himself...your gut will also tell you when the time is right. We also felt that our days passed from feeding to feeding... so all sounds normal. Washing, feeding, washing, feeding, bathing, feeding...no real memory of what or how we did it...long term memory gets zapped with little to no REM sleep...It was when I started drinking coffee as well, had never needed it before, and suddenly couldn't function without it! :) I also did the insomnia with the support website, and that I regret. Sleep is your sweetest indulgence so make sure to put it first! We miss you and are getting through the last days with GMA..it won't be long now.

    We will be your best doorstep friends in a couple of weeks when we get back. We did a lot of sidewalk chalk, bubbles and lawn sprinklers and play-dough in those days! Take Care Sweet family! So glad everything is on target today and prayers coming each day for tomorrow! :) Love, The Severson Family

    ReplyDelete