I am one blessed wife. I have always recognized how amazing Zack is, but truthfully, the thought of him taking "charge" of the 4 rug-rats at home while I have stayed at the hospital scared me beyond words. Not that he hasn't always been the best Daddy, but we all know that he works a LOT, and isn't around for a lot of the day to day, morning to night routines. Daddy works hard, Mommy runs the house. Handing over that responsibility was overwhelming to me, (I admit I'm a "tad" controlling), but he jumped right in. (Don't think I didn't have a notebook filled with our rules, schedules, and basically every single thing I wanted done--my way-- of course, including post-it notes all over.)
He is Daddy of the Year as far as I'm concerned. He's done nightly laundry, kept the house clean (no doubt in my mind that wasn't going to happen), kept them fed (with lots of help from amazing friends), played endless games of Monopoly, organized and led driveway basketball games with all the neighborhood kids, done homework with them, "surgery" on a splinter, taken all 4 swimming, taken them all to baseball games, kept them all going to their after school activities, filled out paperwork for company dance (I still don't know what he got her signed her up for!), grocery shopped, and on and on for what has already been over 6 weeks already! The bonding and relationships that he and the children have developed over this time is definitely a gift from God. God has given him time to watch them grow, snuggle with them, learn how they behave (good and bad), and to lean on each other when they are missing their "normal" lives and celebrating happy times. What a blessing they will always treasure!
He has done all of this without a single complaint or whine. He did say he realizes now why I fall asleep on the couch every night and described himself as just "surviving". I say he's surviving in the best way! I miss him like crazy. It's been hard to lead our separate lives these last few weeks, but we didn't have another option and just went with it, praying for each other, and knowing that our relationship will forever be even stronger because of this. As I look at this little miracle in my lap right now, I can see his Daddy in him-- his eyebrows, mouth, long legs, and laid back personality. (I hope he is a neat nick like his daddy too!) I thank God for you every minute of every day, Zack. I love you.
So sweet Ashley! I am so proud of zack right now!!! Yes, our guys work a lot but they know what to do and when the road gets tough, I love that zack has stepped up in a big way! I know that doesn't make your time apart from him or the kids any less sad, but at least things are being handled at home so you can focus on Caleb. Thinking of you and love these updates!!
ReplyDelete