Saturday, April 27, 2013

Worry of a Gallop

I decided yesterday that i was going into the day with an optimistic attitude. I was singing "This is the day that the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it!". It helped me to stay in the day and not worry, but pray for the now. I went to mass at the chapel in the hospital. It was just what I needed to refocus, have quiet time and pray.
During rounds, I was ready to ask a lot of questions about the diaphragm issue. They said that it was confirmed paralysis. This can happen when the phrenic nerve gets nicked during surgery. The diaphragm is a muscle that on Caleb is now not retracting on one side and is putting pressure on his lungs and not permitting it to fully inflate. The plan is to let him rest all weekend, keep him on the ventilator, and give him lots of nutrition. They added nutramigen to his breast milk to give him extra calories. It adds about 4 calories to every ounce of milk which is an average of 20 calories.
Yesterday (Friday) they heard a Gallop when listening to Caleb as well as felt weak pulses in all 4 extremities. I was concerned when I heard this (& researched online-- mistake!) but tried to keep my positive outlook and put it in God's hands. My Starbucks run and yummy chocolates I was treated to by a friend helped! :) They did an echo which thank goodness came back showing nothing negative for heart function. Praise The Lord! They said hearing the Gallop could've been a result of extra fluids he needed overnight.
He's had a great night and day today with many awake periods. I even caught him with a slight smile while sleeping. He squirms a lot in his little bed. The nurses get him all snuggled and wrapped and within minutes he has an arm out trying to hold a wire. He also stretches his long legs out to the end of the bed! I think he'll be ready for that miracle blanket wrap that all his siblings loved!!!
Aunt Courtney & Robby came in town and surprised Jake with an early birthday movie night with pizza and cake!












1 comment:

  1. We can see the awakening of Caleb in these pictures...he is strong and getting stronger by the minute with all the good nutrition! Will supplemented with Nutramagen too. STinky stuff but just what they need! :)

    And...The party was just what the family needed! Your sister and husband are a gift and I know are such a comfort to you all. Glad that the weekend was stable...each day will gain a little more ground.

    Hope to see you this week. The prayer chain is strong and long for Caleb. The hymn in church today was Be Still My Soul...the Lord is on your side...leave to your God to order and provide...in every change HE faithful will remain! :) I thought of you all...as these changes come this week...let HIM have the load of worry. Give HIM your whole heart and have Peace. God Bless, Mariesa, Jack, Paige, Daniel and Will

    ReplyDelete