Thursday, January 31, 2013

Pièce de Résistance

     Today we had a big appointment that turned into over 4 hours at Vanderbilt Children's Hospital.  As we were waiting, one of the cardiology nurses walked by and said hi.  She was actually the nurse at the first school I taught at in Collierville, Tara Oaks.  We had worked very closely at the time, because of a little guy I had in my class that had a g-tube.  It is a small world!  (and God definitely has people walk through our lives for a reason!)
     First, we met with the cardiologist and she did a fetal echocardiogram.  She had difficulty when she was trying to see the hole in between the two ventricles.  The baby was turned so that its spine was causing a shadow over the parts she was trying to see.  It's amazing how they can see and zoom in on parts of the heart as small as a tiny hole in between ventricles!!  The cardiologist said during the last appointment that she doesn't like to refer to babies as "it", and since we aren't finding out the gender that last appointment she would say, "he" and this appointment baby would be "she".  It made for funny moments as Zack thinks it is probably a boy (based on the stats of HLHS) and he said it would actually be a big surprise if the baby was a girl!
    We also met with the Child Life Specialist.  She asked about how the siblings are doing and what kinds of questions they are having.  She said she would be there to help with the kids' transitioning through all of this when the baby is born.  The kids will get to go to the appointment in March and she'll give them a tour of the hospital.
     Lastly, we met with the surgeon.  Dr. Mettler was great.  I'm sure I'll repeat this again, but I just get blown away when I see the surgeon's hands.  I just think what a gift God has given him to be able to perform surgery on an infant's heart!  His personality is a lot like mine.  He said that he is very Obsessive- Compulsive.  I told him that is perfect!!!  He trained at 3 of the top heart institutes, Michigan, Boston, Virginia and even is the son of a heart surgeon.  Zack and I felt very good about putting our precious baby in his hands.  He did go through the stats of HLHS and his personally.  It can be terrifying to hear; however, we need to know the realities of what we are facing, but as the surgeon said, we believe in a big GOD!...and as I keep praying, that God is the greatest Physician!
     He did say that Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome is the Pie'ce de Re'sistance of all pediatric cardiac surgeries.  I acted like I knew what he was talking about, but had to ask Zack later.  He said that it means that the procedures (surgeries) are the crowning moment, or highlights of his career.  It's like the ultimate surgery.
     We pray that God watches over the baby and it continues to grow (I'm doing my part of eating a lot to assist in this!) as well as goes full term.  These are very important factors for the baby to be ready for surgery.  I also say prayers of thanks for friends that help out with the siblings at home as we were at the hours of appointments.  I felt mentally exhausted, but know they were probably physically worn out!!  :o)
     As we get closer to the baby's due date (10 weeks from tomorrow), I believe this will be our family's Pie'ce de Re'sistance!  Our children will see God through the miracles of this baby!
 

1 comment:

  1. Precious Friend!
    I love you and your darling family so much!!! Gos IS the creator of this masterpiece! His strength will fill your body while you nurture this baby, his hands will guide the surgeon's hands, his arms will surround your family with love and gentle caring, and his unending love will fill in all the places of this sweet baby's heart.
    You are Gods perfect work! You are Gods masterpiece! You are His greatest joy and lifelong love. We all are! Each of us...that especially includes His precious miracle that is growing in you.
    I am blessed to be your friend and love you all dearly..keeping you covered in prayer.. Jenni

    ReplyDelete