Friday, August 9, 2013

Discharge!

After 4 long months (minus the week and a half he was home in May) of living in the hospital, two major open heart surgeries, and 2 cardiac catheters, Caleb was discharged today!  Mommy was a bit emotional, oddly enough.  We've been blessed with meeting so many amazing people through this journey.  I've become very close with the nurses, nurse practitioners, therapists, doctors, and other parents.  Everyone was so good to our family.  They not only took the best care of Caleb, but also of our whole family.  I truly count each one as a close friend and they will all forever be in our daily prayers.  As I was driving home, I pondered over the butterflies I had in my stomach.  I've never felt fear and worry in bringing home a baby like I had today.  I don't think it is fear that something is going to go wrong; however, the worry of NOT wanting to return to the hospital.  The kids were elated for their baby Caleb to be finally home.  He got many, many kisses, head rubs, and constant entertainment. Bo went upstairs and brought down toys to play with his brother.  Jake and Cooper decided that he needed to watch a show.  Kate was our little helper, making sure he was okay.  He's already had a very big emesis.  We are thrilled to be home; however, it is going to be challenging keeping up with his continuous feedings, medicines, preventing him from throwing it all up, and all of his equipment and monitors that come along with him!  Right now, I'm trying to decide the best way he'll sleep.   I don't know if I'll sleep a wink!  The hospital sent us home with the same guidelines and restrictions as his original discharge.  His health is still extremely fragile and anything could compromise his system.





4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on going home! I'll continue to pray that all goes well and he doesn't have to go back to the hospital any time soon. I hope the feedings begin to get easier for him very soon. Love to you and your entire family!
    -Sandy McCrarey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Praise God! Continued prayers for you all as you adjust to doing everything at home :)
    Love,
    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praise the LORD! CALEB AND MOM ARE HOME SWEET HOME! Words can't express how happy we are for all of you on this very special INDEPENDENCE DAY! You have worked hard for this day and we hope you enjoyed as much of it as you could! Remember, we are just a phone call away if you need any support or a third opinion :) It is work, but so sweet to get to do it all by yourself the way you know is best for Caleb! :) God Bless You all! Much Love, The Severson Family

    ReplyDelete
  4. So happy for all of you! I will continue to keep you all in my prayers.
    Carol Collins
    an old "Resurrection" friend

    ReplyDelete