They are concerned that a cerebral abscess formed and that is where the bleeding came from, potentially caused by being on Lovenox for his blood clot (anticoagulant). Neurology is following him closely, working with meds to stop the seizures. I met with the neurosurgeon today who said we've dodged the first bullet of surgery since he wasn't continuing to bleed (they immediately stopped Lovenox and gave him plasma (the blood's coagulant) to reverse the effects). Now the seizures must get under control or he will have surgery to drain the blood in order to relieve the pressure. Prayerfully, he will respond to the anti-seizure meds; and over time, his body will absorb the blood. Meanwhile, he has to be on 14 days of IV antibiotics for the infection (we are on day 3). He looked slightly better today/ a little more alert.
Needless to say, this is a lot to absorb for us. We're optimistic, as we always are, that Caleb will pull through it and be that much tougher (he didn't even wince through today's spinal tap!). Please pray that the seizures stop, the blood absorbs, and that he continues to feel better. (I'm trying to sign him up for tubes in fear of it happening again.) :o)
<3 love and prayers <3 xoxo
ReplyDeletePraying for him! Wish I lived closer so I could do more.... praying for all of you!
ReplyDelete