We do a lot of therapy to catch up on his development (which is fun and challenging with all of them out of school); however, Caleb continues to make quick strides. He does a lot of imitating now which is helping with oral motor movements. (kisses, frog tongues). He is starting to like a sippy cup and even wants to drink out of a big cup, but then if I try to help, he bats it away. He sometimes swallows, but usually doesn't, or it always sits in his mouth for a long while. We've come to the conclusion that his strong willed personality is what is going to be the driver in encouraging his eating. He's wanting to be independent in his skills (holding his cup, bringing the spoon to his mouth). If we bring anything to his mouth, he clinches his lips (out of aversion); however, he's more willing when he does it himself. He is seeking a lot of input in his mouth. He has cut the two bottom teeth and now the bottom molars on each side are busting through. He hasn't fussed or been agitated at all! I know I've said his temperament is great, but I mean, this kiddo is amazing! He's one tough nugget! He bites on my shoulder, which is funny because I don't want to encourage biting, but I'm excited that he's putting anything in his mouth. I just pray he doesn't do it to one of the kiddos! He's starting to sit up!!!! PRAISE!!! This is a huge milestone! I still have to have arms ready to catch him because if he loses balance- which he does- he topples over and doesn't know to put his arms out, or have the strength, to catch himself. He really enjoys the pool. I didn't know what to expect, and was concerned that he would have sensory issues with the water. However, he can't get enough of it!!! He's a little water baby. His arms turn blue after a few minutes, but it doesn't slow him down!! We have to be very conscientious of the heat. It wears him down quickly, so I've been buying anything I can find online to keep him cool!!!
This week I've been a bit in my "overwhelmed, when do I get a moments break", kind of mood. It started with a med mixup earlier in the week, continued with doc appointment scheduling changes, and then culminated tonight with Caleb pulling his G-tube button out of his stomach!!! This is NOT GOOD and was the first time this has happened and I was scared out of my mind. My kids were great, stayed calm, and got me what I needed and then PRAISE GOD, my sweet friend with lots of experience with these came over and helped put it back in. (If it doesn't get back in quickly, it will close up- imagine the stress/ pressure of seeing this hole in your child's stomach!). I was about to rush to the ED (which is what they say to do until you feel confident doing it yourself). Again, one more thing I never thought I could do to my own child, but now, this is how we roll! :o) When it first happened, the sweet kids saw that I was upset and said, "Mommy, why does he not have any holes in him like us?" and another answered, "But, we do, see your belly button?"!!!! I loved it and was quickly reminded how God's light shines through them.
We've been busy and having a blast so far this summer, fishing, swimming, golfing, dancing, and loving spending time together. These days we cherish every moment.
God has given us a few extra "happies" this season of life that keep a big smile on our faces and an extra pep in our step. :o)





No comments:
Post a Comment